It is more important to know where you are going, than how long it takes to get there.



Thursday, September 30, 2010

Sadism...

When I signed on for this cancer gig, I didn't realize that torture/physical therapy was part of the package. After surgery, I quickly learned why physical therapy is a necessary part of recovery. During a mastectomy, lymph node removal, and reconstruction a whole bevy of muscles are cut and compromised. In the beginning, it was difficult to do simple things like getting dressed or reaching for a glass in the cupboard. The more I used my arm, the more movement I gained. As they say, "Use it or lose it."

I just complete my first 3 weeks of physical therapy. I went twice a week. Today I graduated to once a week. During physical therapy the therapist stretched and manipulated my left arm in all directions. I didn't realize how many muscles run up and down my chest until these muscles screamed back at me. Several times I almost cried out "uncle" as the therapist stretched my chest, shoulder, and side (lats) muscles to their max. I think that physical therapists must have a slight sadistic side to them.

Whacky thought for the day...
I am thinking of dressing up as Uncle Fester for Halloween.
I have the right hair style, and before make-up to cover my dark circles under my eyes, I am a dead ringer for Uncle Fester. Is he from Addam's Family or The Munsters? We watched both when I was growing up, and I'm not sure which one I favored.

2 comments:

  1. Adams Family. Morisha and Uncle Fester were related.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Bridget, you are a 70's trivia champion!

    Keval, we did the Komen walk today and I thought of you. :)

    ReplyDelete