It is more important to know where you are going, than how long it takes to get there.



Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Encore...

The YWCA sponsor's a program entitled Encore or ENCOREplus -same program, two different names.  It is a free exercise and support program for women with breast cancer.  Some Encore groups include cervical cancer.  You do not need to be a member of the YWCA to participate.  I saw a flier for the Encore program on a bulletin board in my oncologist's examination room.  Actually, this is where I find out all the good information about support groups. Thank you Dr. Banana Split and MGH.

 I joined the closest Encore group at the Newburyport YWCA, about a 45 minute drive from home.  The program offers exercise and support/informational programs.  Because Newburyport can be a bit of a drive, I just attend the exercise programs, (although I haven't been in a few months - don't ask.)  Anyway, when I heard it was exercises in a warm water pool, I thought...this is just for old people. The cynical side of me envisioned a bunch of lopsided or flat-chested old ladies walking around, waving their arms.  Boy, was I wrong!  First of all, there were women from early 30's to 60's, and every woman looked absolutely wonderful!  I was the only lopsided woman, and there were a few that had doubles, but looked perfectly normal.  We use foam dumbbells in different sizes that weigh nothing out of the water, but give your arms, chest, stomach and other muscles a great workout under water.  I was huffing and puffing a few times.  I use a lot of core muscle to keep me grounded in the pool; when the dumbbells are under water, your body wants to float up.  I found that this type of exercised did wonders for my range of movement of my left arm.  It really helped the tightness across my left chest.

Not only is this a great way to get exercise, it is a fabulous way to connect with other women who deal with breast cancer.  We have a lot of laughs that others wouldn't understand or would make them uncomfortable.  I met another woman who had a tram like me.  I was so excited to talk with her because she is the first person who knew what I had been through.  Like me, using hindsight she is unsure if she would have had the tram surgery.  The camaraderie is well worth the 45 minute drive.  (As I type this, I realize how much I miss it.)  For fun, I decided to bring tiaras for everyone to wear during one session.  Why?  Why not?  (It helps having two girls who loved dress-up.)  It turns out that we were filmed that day for an Encore video.  If I knew were were being filmed, I would have put on make-up and worn my pearls!  Ugh.

Encore was so important to me that I even drove through the one terrible snowstorm we had this winter to attend Encore. Unfortunately, when I arrived I learned that it was cancelled due to the storm, but I stayed and worked out. From inside the pool I could look outside a window and see snow falling on the tall, white steeple of a nearby church...it was a "New England moment."

After one session, Barbara Hart, a fellow "Encorian" - my made-up word, and I stayed in the pool an additional 30 minutes to chat about "stuff."  Her husband joined us and we talked about treatments, and how Barbara's breast cancer moved to her lungs.  She looked terrific!  I would have never guessed that she was in treatment for lung cancer.   It's all about attitude!!!

A couple of the Encore ladies and I made a short film supporting the Encore Program.  You can view it here (Don't be shocked that I look like I had an airhose fill me up - you know how women say they still have their "baby fat" from pregnancy, I am claiming "chemo fat" - also I didn't know they were filming so I am wearing no make-up - scarey! - okay, enough excuses - here's the link):
http://www.ywcanewburyport.org/encore.html

Encore programs are all over the world, and it takes a little work to find one in your area.  If you type in "YWCA encore", the first link you will see is for Australia.  Although I thought it looked like a great program, the commute is a bit greater than 45 minutes.    I also saw Sacramento, Gettysburg, Santa Monica, etc. 

I feel good physically and emotionally after Encore.  Spread the word about Encore.

Solemn thought for the day...
This entry is dedicated to Barbara Hart, an Encore film star and comrade, who died last week from breast and lung cancer.  You left an imprint on my life.  My prayers are with you, Barbara.

2 comments:

  1. I randomly found your blog site while online searching for information on breast cancer. I am newly diagnosed cancer 44 yo patient. I had a lumpectomy with node removal. My doctor told me everything is gone but I am now currently going through chemo and was told I will need radiation also. I live in Kentucky.
    I just want to say, thank you for your thoughts. I read your blog and it helps me.
    Even though I don't know you, we have one thing in common. I will add you to my prayer list. Stay positive.
    Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOW I GOT CURED OF HERPES VIRUS.

    Hello everyone out there, i am here to give my testimony about a herbalist called dr imoloa. i was infected with herpes simplex virus 2 in  2013, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so i was thinking on how  i can get a solution out so that my body can be okay. one day i was in the pool side browsing and thinking of where i can get a solution. i go through many website were i saw so many testimonies about dr imoloa on how he cured them. i did not believe but i decided to give him a try, i contacted him and he prepared the herpes for me which i received through DHL courier service. i took it for two weeks after then he instructed me to go for check up, after the test i was confirmed herpes negative. am so free and happy. so, if you have problem or you are infected with any disease kindly contact him on email                            drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. or  / whatssapp --+2347081986098.
    This testimony serve as an expression of my gratitude. he also have
     herbal cure for, FEVER, BODY PAIN, DIARRHOEA, MOUTH ULCER, MOUTH CANCER FATIGUE, MUSCLE ACHES, LUPUS, SKIN CANCER, PENILE CANCER,  BREAST CANCER, PANCREATIC CANCER, CHRONIC KIDNEY DISEASE, VAGINAL CANCER, CERVICAL CANCER, DISEASE, JOINT PAIN, POLIO DISEASE,  PARKINSON'S DISEASE, ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, BULIMIA DISEASE,   INFLAMMATORY JOINT DISEASE CYSTIC FIBROSIS,  SCHIZOPHRENIA, CORNEAL ULCER, EPILEPSY, FETAL ALCOHOL  SPECTRUM, LICHEN PLANUS, COLD SORE, SHINGLES, CANCER, HEPATITIS A, B.  DIABETES 1/2, HIV/AIDS, CHRONIC RESPIRATORY DISEASE,  CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE,  NEOPLASMS, MENTAL AND BEHAVIOURAL DISORDER, CHLAMYDIA, ZIKA VIRUS, EMPHYSEMA, TUBERCULOSIS LOW SPERM COUNT, ENZYMA, DRY COUGH, ARTHRITIS, LEUKAEMIA, LYME DISEASE, ASTHMA, IMPOTENCE, BARENESS/INFERTILITY, WEAK ERECTION, PENIS ENLARGEMENT. AND SO ON.

    ReplyDelete